The Journey Matters - Joshua Sim

An account of the 5th Sino-Singapore Undergraduate Exchange for NUS would not be complete without recounting the many stories on the way to everywhere.

Like all good stories, I think it started with a joke. Fun man's joke. And while it was extremely science-y and difficult to comprehend, it spiralled into a lot more. Impromptu Karaoke sessions, purple cider and bargaining stories are just a few more prominent ones in everyone's mind.

But I guess it wasnt what was said that made everything seem so strangely nostalgic now. Rather, somewhere between standing before everyone and singing 'wonderwall', I think everyone felt a certain sense of trust in our friendship. An understanding that it is alright even if we were off key just like it was alright even if Fun man's jokes weren't always understood. It was alright perhaps because we've learn to trust each other despite our short friendship.

My father once told me that in life, its always the journey that matters. In some ways I guess, this has been true for us on this trip to China. Anyone could have taken the same flight, visited the same places and seen the same sights. But it was only on the 5th Sino-Singapore Undergraduate Exchange, on the buses, planes and paths that we took, that truly made the journey memorable. Afterall, I guess It would be a long time till I'm able to sit beside one of the most soulful song writers on my generation or to scare someone with scary stories about planes from fight club or to steal small little flight pillows with.

Perhaps the exchange has ended, but I guess in a way, the journey never will.

No comments: